Saturday, December 28, 2013

December 7th, Saturday

Yesterday the nurse called to say they were delaying surgery from 2:45 to 5 pm
Dont' eat.
I asked about scheduling a different day.
Nurse said the next available was NEXT FRIDAy, December 13, no less, and that day's OR schedule already worse than yesterday.   I said I would come in as late as they needed.

Then the SURGEON called and said he was frustrated.  Because of equipment problems in
the OR he had not started his first case yet and it was 10:30 am.  There were two big cases
scheduled ahead of me and he said he couldn't rearrange those, apparently because I was
the most healthy.  I have had intake conversations once or twice a day every day last week
and all are astonished that the only scrip I have is birth control (too much information but I 
really don't know what my mood will be when I go off that estrogen balance).  

No other health issues.
They didn't even do lab work bc so  "bored" (someone said that) with my wellness.  

Surgeon asked if I wanted to wait until Monday.  He rearranged outpatients in his
day surgery clinic.   I am scheduled for 7:50 am Monday.  Up to this point he has said
this is a big case and I should plan on one night in the hospital.  When the surgery was so late, 
he said it might well be two nights.  Now, insurance says  I have to be out in  23 hours.   I said to the nurse "that means I will be discharged at 5 am on Tuesday?"  She hesitated and then said I would
have to discuss that when I get there Monday.  What is likely to happen is they will
stretcher me across the street and admit me to St. Mary's hospital.  Really.

Meanwhile my general health and mental state are declining.

Surgeon assured me that the wait is not bad for the foot or detrimental to the surgery.
And will not materially delay recovery.   He still says I will be ready to lead the retreat

in February.  Though in a boot.  That'll be a fun walk to the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment